Cooking is a great practical activity that involves a variety of maths.
Cooking and recipes encourage the development of different numeracy skills including… reading of scales, size and estimation, mass and density, proportion and ratio, multiplication and division through conversion of units … and many others
Numeracy skills in cooking could include the following:
- How many carrots will we need for the family dinner?
- Increase the portion of ingredients to double the number of biscuits
- Conversion between units for ingredients
- How will our ratios change if we serve 6 people instead of 4
- How will the cooking time change for bigger/smaller portion size
- Experimentation and reflection on results is a great form of skill building
How can you continue to support your student at home?